Slow week, but that doesn’t mean nothing good happened. Here’s some of it…
- Love this drawing by Pixote.
- It seems that Hrag Vartanian was not a big fan of Les Ballets De Faile, Faile’s project with the New York City Ballet. Personally, I really liked to the project. Yes, Hrag is right in pointing out that people were expecting more (like Faile having involvement with set design and costumes), but what Faile did do was, I think, a major success. Nine artists out of ten would have seriously messed up this sort of collaboration by not striking the right balance between completely ignoring the setting and embracing it too much. Ignore the setting, and the work could just have been shown anywhere and would have looked out of place. Go too far in trying to bend the work to the situation, and the artists’ essence is lost and the whole thing comes off as a cheesy joke. Faile struck just the right balance. There was a lot of classic Faile, mixed in with some new ballet-inspired imagery, but the ballet-inspired imagery didn’t look out of place at all. Faile’s work has always had a mix of grit and classical beauty, that ballet with their spin fit perfectly into that. I’ve got to disagree with Hrag on another point and say that I thought the work looked like it fit in just as well as anything else in the theater, particularly the massive “Tower of Faile” piece.
- Thoughts on Crummy Gummy? I’m not sure what I think. Another Mr. Brainwash-inspired derivative artist who never needs to be mentioned again, or actually kinda funny?
- Zoer has a new print out.
- Kid Acne made some scarves that are now for sale with his “art fag” character on them.
- The British Zeus had a solo show open this week at London’s Graffik Gallery. It’s open through the 21st.
- Ever wanted to design a t-shirt using D*face’s logo? Now you can, and you can win $500 and a print for your efforts.
- Great new piece by Seacreative.
- It’s exciting to see strong murals going up in South Delhi, India.
Photo courtesy of David de la Mano and Pablo S. Herrero
Category: Gallery/Museum Shows, Photos, Print Release, Products, Random | Tags: crummy gummy, david de la mano, dface, faile, graffik gallery, kid acne, pablo s herrero, pixote, zeus