Apologies for the meta-ness of this post. It’s kind of a blog post about blog posts, and not everyone likes that.
A little over a month ago, Kenny Scharf painted a mural at the Houston and Bowery mural space in NYC. I’m usually pretty indifferent to Scharf’s work, but in this instance, painting that spot was a homecoming. Kenny, LAII, Keith Haring and a few others painted a mural in the same spot back in the early 1980’s. About a week ago, the mural was dissed, as shown in the above photo. I’d say that’s pretty much the reality of painting outdoors. It sucks, but it’s life. What I’ve found more interesting has been the reaction to all of this…
- Animal posts some photos of the dissed mural.
- Martha Cooper posted some photos and her reaction on her blog.
- Kenny himself posted his reaction to the diss.
- Over at Animal, Bucky is insulting and provoking people because that’s pretty much all he’s good for. He might’ve even had some good points to make, but it’s hard to get past him acting like a dick.
- The Hole‘s Kathy Grayson (The Hole is the gallery that is currently “curating” the murals on that wall) snapped this photo of the mural having been fixed up by someone. She also said “graffiti does mean no rules and pissing people off, but this was pee the wrong spot. makes them look bad. and lame.” So, yeah… Not quite sure what to make of that comment.
Photo by Martha Cooper