Wow. It’s actually Friday night already? This week went by really fast. I think I’ve been sleeping too much. Well, while I was sleeping, these things nearly slipped me by:
- A film is being made about The Underbelly Project, and they are looking for reactions from the public. This Sunday, New Yorkers get have their reactions (positive or negative) on film. More info on the film’s website. I’ve been interviewed for this a couple of times, and I can’t wait to see the finished film.
- Shepard Fairey is guest-editing the latest issue of PAPER Magazine. Great price for an art/culture magazine by the way: I just realized that a two-year subscription to PAPER Magazine is $15! Juxtapoz costs more than that per year just for a digital subscription (more issues per year though)!
- Graffoto are raving about Mantis‘ solo show in Hackney Wick. Honestly, I saw a few photos in the preview and thought something along the lines of “What? These are paintings and they aren’t funny or clever and they aren’t amazing. This isn’t what I love about Mantis at all!” Well I stand corrected. While I still think a lot of the paintings are pretty unappealing, there are some great drawings and even a nice painting or two. The man can draw!
- Jordan Seiler is playing a game with outdoor advertising companies in NYC and Philadelphia.
- Kid Acne has a solo show in London open now.
- A Basquiat was defaced in Paris. Kyle Chayka asks if it really even matters?
- Political graffiti in Afghanistan is pretty interesting.
- People have been tagging up Barry McGee’s wall of tags in New York. Not writers, but just regular people. As beautiful as that wall was when it was first painted, I love that more people are writing on it. I guess the existence of the tags and a while background is sort of inviting average people to interact.
- I really enjoyed this interview with Phlegm.
- Arrested Motion has photos from Best Ever’s London solo show.
- Swoon is building at musical house in New Orleans.
- This street art/graffiti film festival event in Spain looks pretty interesting.
- There’s a new interview with me online at $200 Art Collecting, a blog with one of the best concepts I’ve heard in a long time: buy great art for $200 or less.
The week’s not up yet though, and I’ve committed to doing at least one useful thing before it is: Tomorrow I’m going to try using my kitchen for the first time since going to university. Wish me luck…
Photo by LoisInWonderland
Category: Art News, Gallery/Museum Shows, Interview, Photos, Random | Tags: barry mcgee, basquiat, best ever, jordan seiler, kid acne, mantis, phlegm, shepard fairey, swoon, underbelly project