Expect the next week or so to be filled with Shepard Fairey related news. He’s in New York for his upcoming May Day solo show at Deitch Projects. Here’s some of what’s happened already:
- Shepard Fairey has just about finished a massive mural (photo above) at Bowery and Houston in NYC. The historic wall is also where Keith Haring painted years ago and Os Gemeos painted last summer.
- Animal NY made a video interview with Shepard while he was making that mural. He gives a nice explanation about what exactly he is trying to say with the mural.
- Again from Animal NY, the mural as already been slightly tagged over by NAW.
- Wooster Collective also did a video interview with Shepard at the mural.
- Antonino D’Ambrosio has written an essay about the artwork in May Day for the OBEY website.
And I’d just like to note how much I love Shepard’s new flag image which appears to be one of the core images in May Day.