As I tweeted the other day, my mind is kinda stuck on how much I wish the Parra show at Jonathan Levine Gallery opened today and not on Saturday so that I could go see it. So while I’ve been distracted by that point, here’s some of what I almost missed this week:
- KATSU’s April Fools prank is a bit early, but still pretty funny.
- The Outsiders / Lazarides has some really nice prints by Ron English. They are variations on his Figment image, aka Andy Warhol wig and a skull.
- Barry McGee, Chris Johanson and Laurie Reid are showing together at City College and SF starting today.
- Here’s a new piece from the always-interesting 0331c, but if you don’t know 0331c’s work, here’s an introduction.
- Nice video of Eine updating one of his walls in London from saying PRO PRO PRO to PROTAGONIST. Interesting comment about street art being a thing that “looked like it would offer what graffiti promised but didn’t deliver.”
- Nychos x Jeff Soto = Yes!
- New work from Isaac Cordal.
- Woah. Nice work from How and Nosm in San Fransisco.
- Jonathan Jones is up to his old tricks of dissing Banksy to get more hits for his column, and I’m biting. He writes, “Banksy, as an artist, stops existing when there is no news about him.” Even if that is the case, is that the end of the world? Does that relegate Banksy to “art-lite”? No. Banksy is one of the most talked-about artists in the world. I would bet that the same criticism was leveled against Warhol, who I believe Jones likes. Banksy’s manipulation of the media, playing it like a damn violin sometimes, is some of his greatest artwork of all. He manipulates the media to spread a message. The best example of this was probably him going to Bethlehem to paint on the separation wall because he knew that the media would cover it. He was able to play the media to draw attention to an issue that he felt strongly about. Banksy’s paintings are sometimes great and sometimes not. But his ability to make people fascinated with him and his paintings is just as much of an art, and that shouldn’t discredit him.
Photo by Luna Park
Category: Art News, Auctions, Gallery/Museum Shows, Photos, Print Release, Random, Videos | Tags: 0331c, banksy, barry mcgee, bast, how, how&nosm, isaac cordal, jeff soto, jonathan levine gallery, katsu, lazarides, nosm, nychos, parra, ron english, The Outsiders