With so much of the art world migrating to Miami this week in a frenzy, there seem to be too many events and parties (and I promise not to blog about the parties in detail. This isn’t a gossip site) and exhibits and festivals and everything else to keep track of. Here’s a roundup of some of the things that I’m most interested in seeing (or not seeing).
Things that have already been mentioned on Vandalog:
- This year’s Primary Flight mural project has an impressive list of artists including Roa, Escif, Retna and Boxi.
- Fresh Produce looks to be a solid group show of graffiti and street artists.
- There will be some new Cash For Your Warhol billboards.
- Retna has a solo show at the new Primary Projects space.
- Wynwood Walls is a mural project (among other things) with some big-name artists but questionable motives.
And things that I haven’t already blogged about:
- Elisa Carmichael has her list of Miami must-sees, which includes a Dan Witz book signing and a Trespass book signing with Marc and Sara from Wooster Collective and Carlo McCormick.
- Sorry to bring this up, but Sanrio’s exhibition of Hello Kitty art is just annoying. They got some great artists like Jim Houser to paint Hello Kitty characters. I’ll be avoiding this show like the plague.
- I mostly go for Ryan McGinness’ really abstract work and this isn’t that, but McGinness fans will probably want to check out his solo show.
- Barry McGee will be showing work and signing books at Ratio 3′s book in Basel Miami.
- Jonathan LeVine Gallery has a pop-up show as part of Wynwood Walls. Some of the artists include AJ Fosik, Judith Supine, Doze Green, Dan Witz and WK Interact.
- FriendsWithYou are filling a park with giant blow-up sculptures.
- Last year, OHWOW Gallery’s It Ain’t Fair show was one of the most interesting shows in Miami. Once again, they have a killer line up for the show including José Parlá, Rey Parlá (José’s brother who is, I believe, a filmmaker), KAWS, Phil Frost, Barry McGee and Neckface.
- OHWOW Gallery are also opening a bookstore at The Standard Hotel in Miami.
- New Image Art’s pop-up show includes Neckface, Judith Supine and Os Gêmeos. Probably going to be a must-see.
- Tristan Eaton and his partners are launching Contra Projects with a wide-array of events this week including a tent/lounge space, a mural (by Mr. Jago, Tristan Eaton, Ron English and others) and a TrustoCorp carnival aka TrustoLand. More info on the Thunderdog blog.
- Carmichael Gallery, Joshua Liner Gallery and others will have booths at SCOPE, and I think Maya Hayuk is painting a mural there, which should be awesome if I’m remembering that correctly.
- And of course there’s all the fairs I haven’t mentioned, because there are just so many. So many. Too many. It’s gonna be art overload. But if I’ve missed anything that you think is particularly special, please leave a comment.
Photo by HargoCategory: Festivals, Gallery/Museum Shows | Tags: aj fosik, barry mcgee, boxi, carmichael gallery, dan witz, doze green, escif, graffiti gone global, hargo, jim houser, jonathan levine gallery, jose parla, joshua liner gallery, judith supine, kaws, maya hayuk, neckface, phil frost, primary flight, retna, roa, ron english, ryan mcginness, scope, trustocorp, wk interact, wynwood walls