Happy almost Halloween. It’s been a week of wasted energy, or so it seems. A potential legal wall that I was organizing has fallen through for the time being, but hopefully things are just delayed rather than cancelled. Here’s some of what I should have posted about this week:
- Reported, this sculpture at Occupy London was made and left there by Banksy, but that claim is unconfirmed by Banksy so far. Nonetheless, Zeus added this modification to the piece. And Above has also made some work in solidarity with the Occupy movement. Similarly to K-Guy’s work at Occupy London, I’m conflicted here. On the one hand, it’s great when artists who know how to get headlines do so in solidarity with a political movement of sorts, but on the other hand these artists are of course latching on to the movement and associating themselves with it in a way that they know will get headlines and potentially help them sell some paintings. Of course the same could be said of many of the celebrity speakers who have been generally well-received at Occupy events. So there’s that dilemma to think about.
- Faile are the latest artists to hit the wall at Bowery and Houston.
- Last time I was in NYC, I saw this billboard for Hennessy cognac with designs by Kaws. Just interesting to see the flip from a decade ago when Kaws would have modified that billboard illegal to insert his work onto it in an effort to associate with the Hennessy brand, and now Hennessy pays Kaws to associate with their brand. Also, this new Kaws/Snoopy toy goes on sale today on Kaws’ website. Okay, one last bit of Kaws news: I love this new painting by him.
- This is a nice video of ECB painting a wall in London.
- The Citrus Report interviewed Feral Child.
- John Baldessari’s views on street art.
- The Nuart festival book is available for pre-order.
- TrustoCorp’s show at Opera Gallery in NYC looks like a lot of fun.
- Here are two articles about street art and graffiti in Libya and other countries being impacted by the Arab Spring.
Photo by BustCategory: Auctions, Books / Magazines, Gallery/Museum Shows, Interview, Photos, Products, Random, Videos | Tags: above, banksy, bust, ecb, faile, Feral Child, john baldessari, k-guy, kaws, nuart, opera gallery, trustocorp, zeus