Well, while I had myself more or less locked in a library underground for the better part of last week, the art world did not stand still. And so we have this special Tuesday edition of the typically friday event – the link-o-rama:
- Olek is facing charges in London (not related to her street art), and needs your help. Hyperallergic has more info.
- Banksy has loaned a sculpture to a museum in Liverpool. Meh. Another artwork that just as easily could have been seen at any urban art group show, but it’s by Banksy so the BBC and the rest of us should apparently care. What is this? It’s not just with Banksy. Bloggers in particular, we seem to have this urge to always be the first to say “Yeah, I saw that girl’s work first and said she was cool” and a fear of being caught in a situation where everyone except us thinks that some artist or artwork is great. And now I’m rambling…
- Blu just painted two walls in Buenos Aires. Here’s the first and here’s the second.
- I’m loving this new sculpture from Leon Reid IV about the financial crisis.
- Todd James also has a new sculpture in both bronze and porcelain. It’s for sale at Toykyo.
- Mode2′s new work (NSFW) might be the best I’ve ever seen from him. Amazing stuff.
- KAWS has a show on now at the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth.
- Knock Knock is a new online magazine with a lot about street art and graffiti in Australia.
- Kunle Martins aka Earsnot aka the founder of the infamous IRAK crew participated in Wynwood Walls this year alongside Jesse Geller aka Nemel. Martha Cooper has shots of what they got up to and then the Wynwood Walls video series has a great episode on them. For some people, it may be hard to avoid comparisons to this wall by Barry McGee. 12ozProphet says “The building painted by IRAK for Wynwood Walls is inspired by Barry McGee’s tag-filled murals… Earsnot and Nemel build on Barry McGee’s tag wall concept by filling the wall with a variety of monochromatic shades of overlapping tags creating the illusion of depth.”
Photo by DamonabnormalCategory: Books / Magazines, Festivals, Gallery/Museum Shows, Interview, Photos, Random, Videos | Tags: banksy, barry mcgee, blu, EARSNOT, jesse geller, kaws, kunle martins, leon reid iv, mode2, nemel, olek, todd james